Connect with us

Education

Calgary Students Face Uncertainty as School Year Approaches

Editorial

Published

on

As September 2, 2025, approaches, over 200,000 students in Calgary are preparing to return to school amid a backdrop of significant challenges. The Alberta Teachers Association (ATA) is in negotiations with the Calgary Board of Education (CBE) regarding teacher funding and classroom conditions, raising questions about the upcoming academic year.

Concerns Surrounding Funding and Class Sizes

Jason Schilling, president of the ATA and a teacher with over 20 years of experience, expressed both excitement and concern as the new school year draws near. While teachers eagerly anticipate reconnecting with students and colleagues, the atmosphere is tinged with apprehension. “There’s a little bit of trepidation and some frustration this year for teachers as we head into this new school year,” Schilling noted. He highlighted that Calgary continues to have the least funding per student in the province, which will result in larger class sizes and diminished support services for students.

The potential for job action looms large over the start of the school year, creating an atmosphere of uncertainty. Schilling emphasized that teachers are feeling the impact of inadequate resources, stating, “Knowing that we’re still the least funded when it comes to spending per student in the province, our classrooms will be bigger than they were last year.”

Calgary Board of Education Prepares for Various Scenarios

Joanne Pitman, chief superintendent of the CBE, acknowledged the challenges posed by the ongoing negotiations between the ATA and the Teacher Employer Bargaining Association. She stated, “The bargaining is currently occurring at a central table around the Teacher Employer Bargaining Association and the ATA. And that’s happening this week, so we are paying close attention to that.”

In light of the potential for a strike or lockout, the CBE has developed contingency plans to ensure that student learning can continue. Pitman affirmed that the priority remains student safety and education. “Obviously, if the teachers are on strike, that changes things, and we’re committed to, in all of our planning, is clear and timely communication to families and students,” she said.

The CBE aims to keep students engaged in learning, regardless of the circumstances. Pitman expressed hope that regular learning can proceed without interruption, stating, “All of the work is in place, that said, our hope is that we will be able to maintain our focus on regular learning and move forward this year.”

As the school year approaches, Calgary families, students, and educators are left navigating through the uncertainty of what lies ahead. The outcomes of the ongoing negotiations will be pivotal in shaping the educational landscape for Calgary’s students this academic year.

Trending

Copyright © All rights reserved. This website offers general news and educational content for informational purposes only. While we strive for accuracy, we do not guarantee the completeness or reliability of the information provided. The content should not be considered professional advice of any kind. Readers are encouraged to verify facts and consult relevant experts when necessary. We are not responsible for any loss or inconvenience resulting from the use of the information on this site.